A Time of Giving Thanks

This past week we got to celebrate Thanksgiving with our families. It was a great day filled with delicious food, laughter, and most importantly, love. On this day, I always make a mental list of all that I am thankful for, and throughout the years, I have also learned to be thankful for not only the good but also the not so good things in life. 

Thanksgiving 2017

These past few weeks have had their ups and downs, for sure. There were days where I blamed myself for Avery's delays and scoliosis, and felt as though I was failing him. I had to unsubscribe from email updates on my child's development, because he is not even close to where he should be, and the emails were a constant reminder of that. There have been days filled with jealousy as I watch friends and family post updates about all of the milestones that their (much younger) babies are meeting, while my child is still at the level of a 6 month old in some areas. Although I am happy for them, it also breaks my heart, and those posts had to be hidden to help save my sanity. Then there were the days where I watched Avery trying to play with his toys, and become so frustrated with his cast, pulling at the front of it as if he was trying to rip it off. This, too, broke my heart, and I was ready to just cut the darn thing off myself... All of these not so great moments, though, I am thankful for. These moments have made our mother and son bond stronger, as they have helped me to work on being a better parent in the areas where I have felt I have been failing. They have also made him much stronger. He is becoming more aware of his cast, and at times frustrated with it, but he does not let it stop him from anything. He becomes more determined every day. He is our little fighter. These times have also made George and I stronger, as he has been my rock to lean on during these struggles... That is why we should always be thankful, not just for the good in life, but also the bad. Bad times, even though you may not see it right away, can turn into a blessing. 

There are many good things to be thankful for, as well...
- first is most definitely Avery’s next cast break in only TWO weeks!! I am so ready for squishy hugs and watching him run around playing, and splashing in his tub. 
- I am also thankful for Dr. G and his staff at Boston Children’s. I hate to think of what may have been the outcome if we never went to see him for a second opinion on Avery’s scoliosis.
- Then there is Avery’s early intervention therapist. She is so good with him, and he has been so good with her, as well. We have started working on his feeding issues, and he is now up to eating crackers, Cheerios, and peanut butter toast! Such a huge improvement in a short period of time. That’s our little man! We have not begun working on his speech, but I am hoping that will be soon, as he is still non-verbal. 
- Avery’s pediatrician, who has helped us fight for him to get the treatments and care he needs. She treats him as if he were her own child, and is always taking the time to listen to my concerns, even if it is nothing at all. 
- I also extend my thanks to the woman who has inspired me to continue raising awareness for infantile scoliosis, Dr. Min Mehta. I am thankful for her and all of her work and research to find a cure for this condition. 
- Last, but not least, I am thankful for the Infantile Scoliosis Outreach Program, their founder Heather Hyatt Montoya, and their amazing online support group. I am thankful for all of the wonderful, kind and caring families I have met through the support group, and the friends I have made. They have helped me in so many ways, when I have felt so lost or alone. 



It has taken me awhile to write this post, and a few times where I had to rewrite the whole thing after deleting it, because I just hated it. Then, I realized, it's only because I don't normally share this much with others too often. It is okay if you do not understand how difficult this journey really is for us. After all, it's not your journey to understand. I only hope that if you ever come across a child like Avery, you will show some kindness and compassion to them and their parents who may be going through the same struggles. For those who have done that for us...we are thankful. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Days and Sleepless Nights

Happy 4th of July!

Walk a Mile In These Shoes...