Countdown to the Cast

This has been one busy month for us with birthdays, the 4th of July, getting Sadie ready for her first year of preschool, George's crazy work schedule, and having appointment after appointment...after appointment. I don't normally like constant craziness, however this time I have actually welcomed it as it keeps my mind off of what is quickly approaching. 

In only two weeks Avery will be in his first cast to begin his scoliosis treatments. It was originally supposed to be on July 24th, but because of scheduling issues at the hospital, it got pushed out to August 14th. My emotions have been all over the place. There are going to be a lot of adjustments and changes made to our daily routines, as well as many new challenges to face. Am I ready for this? Far from it. I don't think there really is any way to be ready or prepared for what is ahead of us. 

As if the scoliosis treatments and feeding therapy wasn't enough, at Avery's 15 month wellness check this past week, his pediatrician referred him to another early intervention program. This time it is for speech. I explained to her that all he does is babble, and it is typically only the sound "mamama" which isn't even directed towards me as it should be at his age. According to his pediatrician, he should be saying at least 4 words by this time. So, to speech therapy we shall go.

Casting, feeding therapy, speech therapy. It's like I told my aunt not too long ago, every morning I wake up wondering what will be next. I know things could be A LOT worse than what they are, but since the day Avery was born he has had one problem after another. Our little man just can't seem to catch a break. With all of this going on, there are times when I feel like I have failed my child, and it breaks my heart. No mother ever wants to feel that way. 

The casting is still the hardest to accept, even though we know that this is what is best...or I should say what is NEEDED...to be done for Avery's condition. There are no other options. If we didn't do this, we would be putting our child at risk for even more severe and possibly life threatening issues. Still, the thought that for the next year or so, he will need to wear a full torso cast is quite difficult to deal with. For the next year or so, there will be no more soft squishy hugs. There will be no rubbing his back to help him fall asleep after he wakes up crying from a bad dream. Our outdoor adventures will have to be put on hold until the weather cools down. Bath time, our favorite time of day, will also have to be put on hold. I know it is only temporary, but there is a part of me that can't help but feel like I'm being robbed of some of these precious moments with my baby boy. Children grow up so fast, and I have never wanted to miss a second of these small, yet meaningful, moments with him. Even if it is just for one year.

So, for the next two weeks, we plan to snuggle and hug him like crazy. We will find every and any opportunity to rub his crooked little back. Our outdoor adventures will be more fun than ever. And bath time will last a little longer, and involve lots more splashing in the water.

Having fun with sissy at the 2017 Nipmuc Nation Powwow
Bath time fun!
Hugs for momma
Snuggles with daddy 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Long Days and Sleepless Nights

Happy 4th of July!

Walk a Mile In These Shoes...